Injunctions for Protection

An injunction for protection, also referred to as a restraining order, is a court order which places restrictions on a person who has committed acts of violence against another person. The Injunction for Protection may include, but is not limited to, provisions which restrain the abuser from further acts of violence; order the abuser to leave your household; prevent the abuser from coming to your home, school, business, or place of employment; award custody of minor children and order the abuser to pay support. (8)

Where do I file for an injunction?

Between the hours of 8:00 AM and 2:30 PM, you must apply at the Marion County Clerk’s Office (room 102). The Clerk’s Office will accept completed applications until 5:00 pm.

110 NW 1st Ave #1, Ocala, FL 34475
(352) 671-5610

If it is after the Clerk’s Office hours, you may apply at the Marion County Jail, Video Visitation.

700 NW 30th Avenue, Ocala, Fl, 34475

(352) 351-8077


Keep in mind that an injunction for protection does not guarantee your safety. We urge victims to also have a safety plan in effect regardless of if an injunction has been granted.

There are 5 types of injunctions:

  • Domestic Violence
  • Dating Violence
  • Sexual Violence
  • Repeat Violence
  • Stalking

How do I file for an injunction?

The person filing for the injunction must have a valid form of identification with them in order to turn in an injunction application.

The person applying for an injunction is called the petitioner.  The person the order is against is the respondent. It is also important to note that an injunction does not go into effect until the respondent is actually served with the order. Gather as must information about the respondent’s current location as possible.

The petitioner will be issued a court date for the injunction hearing if the temporary order is issued and the petitioner must attend court.  If the petitioner does not show up on time for their injunction hearing, the order will be dismissed.

You can bring witnesses, and you may also have an attorney represent you if desired. You also have the right to have a Victim Advocate present during your injunction hearing.